Robb Report Magazine's panel of experts ranked Germain-Robin Select XO first, ahead of the $1500 "Richard Hennessy" cognac.
"Best on the planet" SPIRITS AND COCKTAIL MAGAZINE
Germain-Robin is the only producer in the world to base its distilling material
on 100% world-class wine grapes. The Select Barrel XO is 80% Pinot Noir. No French producer distills grapes of this quality.
Ten barrels/year of XO alambic brandy, hand-distilled on our antique cognac still from twelve different
premium wine-grape sources, cellared in Limousin oak. The wine used for distillation is of unusual quality: premium varietals, notably Pinot Noir. Using such high-quality wine gives the XO a distinctively soft
richness of flavor and a wonderfully long and complex finish.
Simply the finest XO that exists —smoother, more balanced, more
complex than XO cognacs, with a subtle and distinctive Californian
fragrance & flavor of deep, rich fruit. This is the brandy we set out to make
when we founded GERMAIN-ROBIN. The high proportion of brandies
distilled from Pinot Noir lends elegance, fullness, and a smooth, lingering finish.
There is none of the over-oaked deadness on your palate, none of the
alcoholic roughness in your throat, that detract from aged European
spirits. No other grape spirit is made this way.
"depth & richness are astonishing" NEW YORK TIMES
Here's why our Select Barrel XO receives such rave reviews
• Hand-distillation on an antique cognac still, using 19th-century methods
• Rich flavor from premium wine grapes ripened in the California sun
• Wonderful complexity and balance, from the diversity of an aging cellar
filled with brandies distilled from premium grape varietals
• Structure and definition from high grape acidity, which is protected by
Mendocino's cool morning fogs
• Pure, distinct flavor from the distillation of wines vinified and stored in
modern equipment: no off flavors; velvet smoothness; no alcoholic harshness.
• Delicate oakiness from aging in the finest Limousin oak cognac barrels
"Classic techniques. Hand-crafted... unmatched quality” CONNOISSEURS GUIDE